Tuesday, September 16, 2014

Jelly, Jam, and Preservation

On Monday I had breakfast with Jim Yost missionary to Papua, Indonesia.  He's devoted a lifetime to following Jesus wherever he might lead.  From the Jungle to the city, Jim and his family have sought to live at the intersection of what God was doing in their personal lives and what he was doing in the world.  Jim embodies the simplicity of the life lived with God.  From his perspective, life and faith are simple, "listen to the Father then do what he says."

Jim's faith formula is complicated: Step 1 - listen; Step 2 - respond; Step 3 - repeat steps 1 and 2.

Nearly four decades later, Jim and his family have seen and experienced the miraculous.  The fruit of their faithfulness can be measured in the 10's, the 100's, and the 1000's.

I on the other hand have a formula that's more concerned with preserving fruit than producing it.  My faith formula is like the jelly of the month club.  I take a little Jesus, mix it with some self-interest and personal security, and let it simmer over the low heat of my half-hearted devotion.

Listening to God and doing what he says seems a little too simplistic and risky to me. I think I prefer self-preservation...you know it's that fruit we can and seal and spread on our bland lives when we crave a little flavor. Jim Yost may have a stand full of fruit, but I have a pantry full of fruit preserves (I just hope mine doesn't expire).

No comments: