Sunday, April 3, 2011

A Love Unsolicited

A few days ago I was ironing a shirt before heading to work.  My 5 year old was sitting on the couch watching cartoons drinking chocolate milk and my 2 year old was walking around in her footsie pj's dragging her favorite blanket.  I'm not the most adept at ironing, so most of my attention was on the task at hand.  With no provocation from me, my daughter dropped her blanket walked over to me and hugged my left leg.  Moments later she returned for one more hug.  Needless to say she made my day.  Is there anything more powerful than unsolicited, unmitigated, unconditional love?  It is life changing.  My daughter's hugs reminded me that our Father in heaven has shown us his unsolicited, unmitigated, unconditional love through his only begotten Son.  The Bible says that God proves his love for us in that while we were still sinners or enemies of God Christ died for us.  In other words while we were preoccupied with living life on our own terms God embraced us with arms stretched wide - so wide in fact only nails could hold them. 

Is there anything more powerful than unsolicited, unmitigated, unconditional love? 

No comments: